Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A second introduction

So after two months we were together in Ankara, Anna has gone home. I'm staying in Turkey until January, two weeks here in İstanbul then returning to Ankara for the fall term at METU (Middle East Technical University). To continue small glimpses of Turkey I'll be posting to this blog. My own observations and questions, perhaps some Turkish graffiti, urban conversations and mediterranean flavours.
And through what lens? Anna has International Relations, inquisitative journalism, and joyful humour specialities.....I've got philosophy and environmental studies, as well as a deep fear of (or faith in?) cultural relativism.

I'll write soon about the water of Istanbul. It's in the air, in the seas, in fish sellers' fountains, in an infinite number of plastic bottles that--once emptied--are thrown to cobblestone streets. Here the balance between savings and waste is an irony that springs up every day, and for me it's most obviously witnessed with water.

~~~alice

No comments: