Tuesday, June 12, 2007

An Invitation

What: my first blog! I'm doing a program in Turkey for two months to learn the language, and I want to tell you all about it. It'll be a mixture of personal journal-ing, political stuff, and some bona fide travel writing.

Possible future topics: living with a host family in Turkey, conversations in Turkey, food in Turkey, elections in Turkey, getting lost, etc. Maybe even turkeys in Turkey! (per Dawn's suggestion)


Where: Mostly Ankara, the capital.

Why: It's a way to keep in touch with all of you -- my friends, my family, my Internet stalkers...

But also, this blog is a way to force myself to write: to observe, interview, and experience Turkey as a writer would, knowing I have an audience for my words.

Which leads to...

What I expect of you: yeah, that's right. I have expectations. This isn't one of those passive reading things. If you want to run, do it now.

Because this is really an invitation for all of you -- the people I trust -- to be my editors and guides. I expect all of you reading this to give me your comments (constructively, please!), not only on the content, but also on the writing style. Your job is to keep me disciplined: writing, thinking deeply, avoiding cliches, and focusing on what's important.

I'm going to D.C. on Thursday for pre-trip orientation, and then flying off to Ankara on Saturday. All I know for certain is a flight number, and the address of my hotel in D.C. But stepping into the unknown is my favorite thing about traveling (and maybe about everything).

Okay, better go pack now.

17 comments:

Elias Veskot said...

Go, Go Girl :))))))

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,
I will definitely try to read your blog. It is so exciting that you are going to my eastern neighbor. I would love to read and hear about your adventures. By the way, you should come to Bulgaria. I live in Plovdiv which is not that far..it might be a day traveling with bus or train..you know I would avoid traveling with the train to Bulgaria and in Turkey..buses might not be as sketchy. I would love to see you during this summer. I am in Berlin doing my internship and it is a bit tiring and unfortunately the people I work with are not German speakers so I barely hear German during hte work day..hopefully things will change. I miss you and I am sending you a huge hug. Good luck in your travels and can't wait to see you.
~Veli

Jessica said...

Hi, I am an internet stalker! Travel writing is fun but also a challenge. I bet you will tell the BEST stories in the most LIMPID and delightful prose so I cannot wait to read this!

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I can't wait to hear about your adventures! I'll be eagerly awaiting stories of Turkish turkies, Turkish havoc as wreaked by you, and of course, Turkish love! :) Have a blast-astic journey!

xoxoxoxox! =)

A. P. Fellow said...

I'm certain you'll have a terrific time. Be sure to post pictures along with all that elegant verbiage. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

anna yukkanukka, i think you're fabulous, and as a blogwhore myself i applaud your efforts!

-adi

Anna said...

Awww, you guys are you just full of niceness. Thank you everyone! Talk to you soon,

Anna

Patrice said...

the most magical person i know finally has internet presence. fantastico. mine is coming soon!

biogirl said...

Anna! I miss you already! It was great getting to talk to you - even though we didn't get that much time alone and 12 year olds were continuously trying to steal your cell phone. I know you're going to have an amazing time simply because it's you and you know how to make the most of things. I will definitely be reading your posts.

love

EM said...

i second the call for pictures. i think there are probably ways to plan travel but it would be against your nature to be so un-spontaneous. i expect at least one sketchy hitchhiking story (j/k. only if it's not too dangerous). have fun!

IreneY said...

We wish you a fun and safe journey....
Love,
My (tvoya sem'ya)

P.S. Still not packed, ah?

Anonymous said...

Good luck Yukunukah!! may the force be with you.
<3Lauren

Masha Yukhananov said...

Hi Anna!
i can't wait to read you stories.
i miss you
good luck

Kathy Taylor said...

wooohoo

have a good flight!

Anonymous said...

hi anya! (this is sonia, z, the crazier one, i think)
asya was sleeping over my house and told me to read this, and it's sooooooo cool!

getting lost in new countries with very different cultural practices and hospitable people is very fun!

yuri said...

Ochen khorosho!
Tak derjat!
Pochti vse ponyal.
Tseluyu, ded.

Jen said...

hello Anna!

Sorry for not having dropped by earlier, but chances to get online were sparse in China. How was your summer? I feel like the two of us are always, always playing catch-up, but I'm so glad you're keeping a blog so we can all be up-to-date on all the craziness that is Anna's life (and mind, sometimes, hehe)...do let me know how you are and all. I miss you!!

jen